Peer-to-Peer Mentors: Where Are They Now
…That time when I took eight high school students to Washington, D.C. for a week to lobby for sexual health education on Capitol Hill!
This little gem popped up on my Facebook memories feed and brought back some great memories. In 2009, I was privileged to take a group of eight high school students who were serving Bridgehaven as peer-to-peer mentors to Washington DC where we mingled and lobbied our legislators about the importance of sexual risk avoidance (SRA) education. I decided to attempt a “WHERE ARE THEY NOW” coup with some of our peer-to-peer mentors of yesteryear. I was excited to hear from a few of them…so international!!
- Kelli: “I’m living in Los Angeles, working as a freelance social media manager. I’m moving to Nairobi, Kenya in June for a yearlong internship with a child sponsorship organization out there! God is soo good, Jesus is ever faithful. Hope everyone is doing well!”
- Adrienne: “Got married in October, met my husband when I lived in India for a year. Living in Cedar Rapids for now. Currently looking at schools to apply for my masters in social work to be a mental health therapist.”
- Caleb: “I got married about 2.5 years ago, and I am living in Lynchburg, VA. I work at Liberty University where I am currently working on my MBA.”
- Tiffany: “I live in Seattle as a marketing coordinator for City University of Seattle! I’m married to a wonderful man and we have a puppy named Rogue. Hope all is well!
- Melanie: “I’m living in Omaha, NE! I’m a deaconess at my church, Citylight Benson and helped plant this church! I own my own business, The Experience Company, geared toward managing and building successful corporate and fundraising events. I also serve on the Young Professionals Council for the city chamber along with various other boards. And I still go to Malawi, Africa every summer to help run our kids camp, Camp Chisomo!!”
- Marie: “Hey everybody. I sure do love us in our professional clothes. I’m doing well! I’m getting my Masters in Theology from Union School of Theology near Cardiff, Wales. It’s modular, so I spend some time out there and then do most of the research and writing from home. I live in CR, do a little hosting with Safe Families when I can, and make money by substitute teaching and waiting tables at Cobble Hill. Still single, send dates.”
- Sarah: “I live in NYC and I’m a lawyer! Nothing else new or exciting with me. I hope all is well for you!”
Our current Veracity program consists of high school and college students who love to mentor their younger peers by joining us as a panel in our classrooms for a day of Q & A about life, dating, stress, pressure, and their commitment to avoiding sexual risk. If you know of any students who would appreciate the opportunity to promote sexual integrity through mentoring and education of their peers, we would love to talk to them! We have several Veracity presentations coming up including Central City High School and Prairie Middle School.
Posted on Fri, March 16, 2018
by Trisha Sellers