Ministry Update (3/23/2020):
The past weeks have been challenging for our community. At Bridgehaven, we have done all that we can to minimize the risk of COVID-19 to everyone in our community. Now, we are at a crucial point in our community, state, nation, and world where we need to do more.
After 5:00 p.m. today, Bridgehaven will be temporarily closed until further notice.
As a life-affirming organization, we not only care for and uplift life in the womb, but we recognize that all lives are precious to us. It is this heart position that has led us to make this very difficult decision. We are placing our trust in the Lord as we’ve never had to before to carry all of us through to the other side of this pandemic.
During this time, we will continue to be available for clients needing a pregnancy test or other resources via phone. We are working to implement a process to ensure clients will not feel like there is no one there for them. Additionally, we are so encouraged by the influx of food resources that have become available in this community and feel that our clients can truly benefit from those opportunities as well.
You, our Bridehaven community, have always been a source of great love and support. Because of that, I ask you to add a few prayer requests to your list:
- Pray for our Bridgehaven families and clients. Pray that they will recognize the Lord’s hand in their lives and how He has prepared them for this time.
- Pray for those pressured by a pregnancy decision. Pray that they would be given calmness of heart and not feel pressured to make an immediate decision.
- Pray for our staff. This has been very hard on them. So much has changed and so much is still unknown.
We are heartbroken to have had to make this decision. Thank you for being a part of our Bridgehaven family. We are truly all in this together. We will be praying through this time, trusting God, and standing firm on His promises.
We’ll see you soon.
Bridgehaven Response to COVID-19 (Updated 3/20/2020):
At Bridgehaven and Treasures, we are committed to staying calm, educated, and prayerful regarding our response to what is occurring. We want to do our best to continue to serve families in our community through getting them the resources and help that they need, but we also have a duty to safety and health that must also be a priority.
“Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6-7
With a calmness of heart and a confidence in God, it is wise to be cautious and careful during this time. I want to share with you how we are handling the current situation, but please know that we are continuing to assess solid reports and information and to seek the Lord’s wisdom and discernment as the landscape continues to change day to day.
We have taken these steps at this time:
- Only staff and pregnancy test/ultrasound clients with appointments are allowed to enter the center. This includes all volunteers. If you would like to donate, please see the donation instructions above.
- We have altered our operating hours from 10AM-5PM, Monday-Friday.
- Earn While You Learn classes have been suspended until further notice. We have implemented a drive-up system that is currently available Monday-Thursday for EWYL clients to pick up material resources.
- Treasures Quality Resale Shoppe is closed until further notice. They will also not be accepting donations at this time.
- We are not accepting walk-ins. Please contact us online or call us at(319) 364-8967 to schedule an appointment.
- Keeping our staff and clients informed. We will be posting information from the CDC regarding COVID-19 throughout the building.
- Making hand sanitizer available throughout the building.
- Washing down and disinfecting of heavily trafficked areas. All training rooms have been provided cleaning kits. Instructors will wipe down rooms after every class. In addition, we are wiping down the grocery area and all community areas multiple times a day.
- Screening new clients. We are screening all pregnancy test or ultrasound clients for potential exposure when they call for an appointment as well as when they enter the building. We are also not allowing any additional support people. We will continue to seek guidance from our medical partners in the area on the best way to do this and respond as necessary.
For now, we are also asking all staff to:
- Stay home when you’re sick. If you are sick or have been sick, staying home and taking care of yourself is always the best thing you can do for yourself and those around you. If you are unable to come in, please communicate with your department leader. Please know we will work with you to help whatever is needed. We are a nimble and flexible organization. If you need to work from home or take a break, we can make it work.
- Cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue or use the inside of your elbow.
- Wash hands often. We cannot stress the simplicity and importance of this enough.
- Limit close contact with others as much as possible (about 6 feet). Our love for one another keeps us in close proximity. Please be mindful of the space between. Refrain from handshaking or hugging for the time being.
- Be in communication with your department leader about past and upcoming travel plans. If you have recently traveled, especially in confined spaces like cruise ships or airplanes, please consider where you’ve been and the impact it may have upon returning. We may ask that you to self-quarantine before returning to work or your volunteer position.
- If you are 60 and older, please stay home.
More will come over the next few days and weeks as we see what occurs in our area. I ask for your patience, flexibility, and peace as we plan for the things we know and then things we do not know quite yet. There will be many meetings and conversations as we explore our options in a situation like this one.
We believe Bridgehaven has set a standard of care that continues to keep the needs of our clients and the safety of everyone a top priority. We will continue to assess and adjust as new information comes our way. When that happens, we will continue with a posture of prayer, discernment, and communication to keep you informed.
I pray a blessing of health for you all.